Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The M5 Challenge Again, New North Fork Trail, Bouldering Project, New Races, Sugar

The M5 Challenge Again, the new North Fork Trail, Bouldering Project, New Races, Sugar

More catching up... ran/power hiked the M5 Challenge on Saturday. This is really a solid test piece, and one that I want to continue to incorporate into a semi-regular training basis. Since the trail is not an official trail, it is not nearly as buttery smooth as many of the other trails out there, and mimics a more mountain trail then most found on the Front Range. I felt good the entire time, but really didn't push, just kept an even pace. I kept thinking about the M10 Challenge during the outing, but that thought quickly faded - if anyone is up for a 12 hour Fat Ass this winter, let me know and we can give it a shot.



On Monday I ran the brand new North Fork out of Reynolds Park. This is a new 9.3 mile long trail (one way) that winds along and eventually reaches the South Platte. The fall colors were simply amazing during the run, and although the trail is really smooth (it is open to mountain bikers too, so they made it "flow", which means it is somewhat tedious for runners with all of its winding and non-direct lines) it travels through some really remote feeling country. I didn't see anyone else on the full run, except for my wife!







There are more and more new races being promoted, mostly on FB. My question is, why are they promoted prior to getting a permit? A new one just went live today, a 100 miler, but since I know the area really well, I don't think they will get a permit unless the course is somewhat blah. The area is surrounded by designated wilderness, so most of the mountains are off limits from my understanding. I can see how a RD would want to gauge interest, but it seems counterproductive to promote a race, build a website, attract participants (and sometimes, even have them register) prior to getting permits.

Working my bouldering project. I've got it down to two parts, with two moves that I can still not link together. Total moves is around 22, so almost a short sport route, but I really enjoy the problem and setting, and believe that once I can get it linked, it will go at about V10 or so.

Interesting article on gastrointestinal complaints during exercise. As I noted before, I've been playing around with getting nitric oxide via beetroot juice, which so far seems to be beneficial in terms of a cost/benefit ratio and have also experimented with using multiple forms of carbohydrates during exercise, but have not been able to really nail it beyond the 8 hour window (of course, it also highly depends on race day temperatures and terrain/energy expenditure for me). Still learning, which makes it all so exciting.

6 comments:

  1. You're so kind so as to not specifically call out the race you're referencing on FB. That said, what is it!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the new Hideaway 100 in Winter Park https://www.facebook.com/Hideaway100trailrace. I hope they do get permits, but it was more a general question, not specific to this race. I was thinking of the two that had promoted but failed to get permits in the San Juans last year, as well as Dakota's first version of the TMR, and some others. You know more about this then I do I'm sure.

      Delete
  2. Although I've read that beetroot juice is only shown to benefit high intensity efforts, I do believe there are great blood building benefits that can help with efficiency in certain areas whether aerobic or anaerobic. Red piss! Arugula too for nitric oxide I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, most of the research is focused on benefits for high intensity efforts (see link above), which seems fairly conclusive. However, since nitric oxide does help with blood flow, there might be benefits for longer efforts and for recovery.

      Nice race in Louisville!

      Delete
  3. The upper part of Morrison is great, love the steep rocks. M5? You're a beast.

    Cool fungus.

    Glad to see a link-up trail from Reynolds down to the Platte. Foxton takes "forever" to drive though from 285, but then if it were easy, everybody would be there :) Did you see the abandoned hotel on the Platte end? I ran from that CO trail TH for the first time this summer, and it's fun. Good terrain on either side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the new trail from Reynolds down to the Platte is really good - I actually thought of you and your photos on the run. I think you will really enjoy it; good miles for sure. I believe the hotel is from when the train used to run up there? A friend grew up on the ranch behind Cathedral Spires and was telling me about the train back then.

      Delete