Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Byers Peak - Full

Byers - Full


This morning I ran the full version of Byers Peak (12,804). Byers is the dominate peak in the valley, and I love running this peak. However, this time I did the "full" version, in that I started and ended at Creekside, which adds a significant amount of miles and vert to the peak. I ran up Creekside, then jumped over to Deadhorse and up the secret trail to the Byers trail, and from there up the standard north ridge. Once on top, I got to enjoy another solo summit in the Byers Peak Wilderness (combined with the Vasquez Wilderness and the Williams Fork Wilderness, this is a vast area that sees little in the way of people). Then it was time to head down and make my way all the way back to Creekside. I wanted to get in a semi-long day as the North Fork 50K is in a week and a half, and I am still working on my fueling after my disaster bonk at the Sage Burner. I tried to eat every 30 minutes or so, and that seemed to work. It was really hot, and although I had two hand-helds and a hip belt with 20 ounces, I drank all of it and sure could have enjoyed some more. The full version of Byers Peak is 20.9 miles with 5,159 feet of climbing. It took me 3:48 today, and I did take a few pictures and do several hat dips in the streams.

A nice elevation profile
 
The ptarmigan just hung out on the rock as I went by...

 
Looking south at Summit County and beyond....


 
Looking northwest towards Steamboat...


The fun Byers Ridge part of the run...


No comments:

Post a Comment