Friday, November 15, 2013

Mt. Falcon X 4

Mt. Falcon X 4

The goal was to get out for an extended period of time, and to try and get in some vertical. I was looking for something where I didn't have to carry all of my food and water, but still had a decent amount of miles and vert per lap. Green Mountain via one of the front side trails was my first choice, but since that is still closed, I opted for laps on Mt. Falcon. The route is straightforward, up to the fire lookout and back down. Each lap is 8.5 miles and 2,100' of gain. I wasn't looking to push the pace, but rather to keep moving up and down for an extended period of time, and to focus on any mental issues that might arise. After allowing myself an extra hour of sleep to try and catch up from a busy week, I got moving at 8:06 in the morning. Regularly, when I run this route semi-hard, it takes me ~1:20, so I was aiming for just under 2 hours per lap on this day. The day started off a bit cool, but quickly warmed up and I was in summer mode for the rest of the day. The first lap went well, and I finished it off in around 1:45 at a very comfortable pace. A quick stop at the car for some food and water, and I was off again after a couple minutes. The second lap went well, and my energy level seemed to be holding. The third and fourth also went well. I was worried that I would get bored and throw in the towel prior to reaching four laps, so I had that goal in the back of my mind all day. I also wanted to try and keep a mellow but even pace all day, which I was able to do. So, overall the day was a success. I still had enough energy after the fourth lap to go for another, but decided to call it at four - a solid training day with my goals accomplished. 34 miles, 8,400' of gain, 6h 53m. Project N training.



No comments:

Post a Comment